Monday, May 13, 2013

Layered Greek Dip SRC


Greek salad on Gluten Free A-Z Blog


When the weather is mild , ( like now)  we like to entertain out on the deck. To keep things intimate and simple,  we invite just a few friends over and keep the menu limited to interesting appetizers like this Greek Dip. You know the Mexican layered dip with guacamole, re fried beans, etc.? This layered dip is a  Greek version with a combination of Greek salad , humus, feta cheese, and Greek spices.

We love Greek food and paired with a nice bottle of wine and some gluten free chips,  it's a perfect easy appetizer for a spring or summer evening with friends.

I found the recipe on a lively blog called, Close To Home authored by Maria who lives with her 3 children,  husband, and two pets. Maria's blog is filled with a variety of  family friendly recipes, crafts, entertaining tips,  reviews and giveaways. Her blog had lots of recipes that I could have made, but being partial to vegetarian and needing something gluten free, I chose to make this delicious dip for my Secret Recipe Club choice for the month of May.
Secret Recipe Club'
We loved the recipe!. It's one of those recipes that is fast, easy, and tasty.

 Here is Maria's recipe: 

Layered Greek Dip Recipe
  • 1 
8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
  • 1 
Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 
tsp. dried Italian seasoning
  • 3
 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2
 cups prepared hummus
  • 1 
cup chopped cucumber
  • 1
 cup chopped tomato
  • 1/2 
cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
  • 1/2 
cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/3 
cup sliced green onions

Directions
  • In medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, and garlic with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and combined.
  • Spread cream cheese mixture into a deep 9-inch pie plate, or shallow serving dish. Evenly spread hummus on cream cheese layer. Top with cucumber, tomato, olives, feta cheese, and green onions. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 24 hours. Serve with pita chips and/or multigrain tortilla chips. Makes about 2-1/2 cups dip (16 servings).

I followed the recipe but left out the olives ( didn't have any) and added marinated artichokes and chopped yellow peppers.




layer of cream cheese mixture covered by a layer of humus

tomatoes, cucumbers , feta and additional veggies on top of the layers of cream cheese and humus.
Thanks Maria!  This is a recipe that I'm sure I will make over and over again when I need an appetizer.
May be shared on a few of the following blog carnivals
Like my recipes? I post lots more ; Follow me on Pinterest Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

15 comments:

  1. YUM! Looks like a perfect dish to bring to a summer party. Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! my favorite Greek Salad as a dip. This recipe will be enjoyed week after week at grilling parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good and so full of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new follower of your blog! This looks so tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thanks for stopping by. I am following you as well. This dip looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dip especially during the summer when all veggies are fresh. Thanks for choosing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Judee,
    I would just love this Layered Greek Dip, it looks awesome! This is a great recipe choice for the SRC.
    Have a fun week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, sounds like a great appetizer for summer cookouts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen a Greek layered dip, only Mexican, but it looks like you got one tasty dip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dip is pretty and healthy at the same time. I can't get my husband to like hummus, so I would probably leave it out and call this a salad for him.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the addition of the artichokes. They're not something I use often but I do like them. Maybe I need to start using them more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delicious dip! Thanks for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great! I love it! We have been enjoying time on our covered porch! Its a great time of year! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Can't wait to see what you are bringing to the party this week! We have another GREAT giveaway!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly