Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Drink This; Lose Weight ( 30 day update)

apple Cider, cinnamon, lemon juice, detox drink

My Monday May 13, 2013 my original  post was called, " Drink This; Lose Weight". 
Within 2 weeks I had over  6, 000 viewers of that post. To date over 15, 000 views.
Readers were asking all kinds of questions, but basically wanted to know if it really worked.
Ingredients for weight loss drink
I did not create the drink. I originally saw it on a You Tube by Dr. Axe. He explained why these ingredients can help you detox and let go of built up toxins and fat. The formula was simple.

The drink is made of: 
  1. Apple Cider Vinegar ( 1-2 Tablespoons)
  2. Fresh Squeezed lemon juice ( 1/2 lemon squeezed)
  3. Cinnamon ( 1 -2 teaspoons) 
  4. Stevia to taste
  5. 24 ounces of water
  6. Blend in a blender before drinking 


I always knew that drinking apple cider vinegar is very helpful for balancing ph, cleansing toxins, etc.
 I knew that lemon  juice does some of the same. Cinnamon is good for balancing blood sugar, but would the concoction actually contribute to weight loss? I had also included a You Tube video from Dr. Axe who demonstrated how to make this drink in the blender and proclaimed its benefits ( it's also at the end of this post) 

After 4 weeks I am now ready to share my results:

The only thing that I changed in my diet was the "drink". 
This was my eating and exercise pattern. Normally, I would eat very healthy and light during the week, but I would overeat on the weekends because we would eat out and go out with friends. When I eat out, I have less control over the food I eat and less self control!

My Usual Routine Prior to Adding the Drink
So during the week,  I am conscious of portion size and food choices. I kind of follow a Weight Watchers type of routine and lose a pound or two. On the weekends when we entertain or eat out, I frequently eat more fattening foods and greater quantity. I have also been known to indulge in dessert  and some wine on the weekend. Therefore my struggle has been that I may lose 2 pounds during the week BUT I put it back on plus on the weekend.

Therefore at the end of the month, I usually saw no results. Every weekend,  I had always gained back what I lost during the week. Things changed while consuming the drink.

My Routine While having the Drink Each Morning
I did not change anything in my eating habits. The only change was drinking the drink.

The Results after 30 days
While drinking the "drink," I noticed that even though I indulged on the weekends, I didn't  gain weight. However, I still had to do moderate exercise ( at least a 2-3 mile brisk walk daily) My weight loss from during the weekdays remained stable. So, whatever I lost during the week was maintained. Yay!!

Lost 7 pounds this month
From May 13- June 12 ( 2013)  .. I have lost 7  pounds despite my indulgence on the weekends.  I've lost about 1 and half to 2 pounds during the week and remained the same on the weekend despite eating out, having dessert, and overeating. Before the drink, I would have showed a weight gain on the weekend.( today is June 13 and I lost 1 more pound!! love this drink)

What I usually eat: 

Upon rising: I usually have a piece of fruit like an orange, and then I take a 1 hour brisk walk

After the walk: I drink my "drink" on an empty stomach ( it helps cleanse the system) If it is too much roughage, cut down  the cinnamon. 20 minutes later I eat my Breakfast: I cook a 1/4 cup gluten free oatmeal , top it with 1/4 cup Greek yogurt;and 2 tsp of chopped walnuts.

Lunch: 1/2 gluten free wrap- filled with 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1 scrambled egg , greens, tomato, fresh basil ( this is about 8 points plus- but healthy and filling)
or
I would Planning ahead! Lunch in a Jar have a salad ready in a mason jar with avocado, chick peas, greens, 
and fresh herbs.

3:00 snack: Smoothie( made with frozen bananas and blueberries and almond milk- sometimes some protein powder.

Dinner: Quinoa, beans, salad, vegetable or homemade lentil soup, salad with avocado, vegetables, riced cauliflower etc.

After dinner: nothing or a piece of fruit - I drink about 4-5  glasses of water a day ( should drink more)

Weekends: I go out for dinner, have dessert, and wine. ( Friday and Saturday nights)

My Conclusion:  It Works!
It works in conjunction with a conscious real food diet most of the time. But, the drink makes it easier to cheat. It is forgiving. My weight is more stable, and I haven't been gaining the weight back.. For Me That is unheard of. I have to say, YES, this is working, but you still have to be somewhat conscious even when you cheat. I will continue to have the daily morning drink. I have also noticed  that when I diet, I often get leg cramps at night. That has not happened at all with the apple cider vinegar. It is full of potassium and that helps leg cramps!

What are some of the simple things you do to make help yourself feel better? I love your comments, so please leave one. It introduces me to your blog, and I love to stay connected . I will visit and follow you on Twitter and G+ etc. 
Lets stay connected: follow me on Pinterest,  Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter too

If you would like to To subscribe and recieve my post in your email : Look on the top right side of my blog for a subscribe box or follow me on Bloglovin 

Enter your email and don't miss a recipe. 


Here is the original video in case you missed it!




Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Dr. Axe or the video. I am not endorsing it, nor do I receive any compensation for sharing it on my blog. I'm just sharing something that I found interesting.. Please decide for yourself. Always consult your doctor before making any changes in your diet.

Have you tried it? What were your results? 
Please leave a comment...


Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

41 comments:

  1. So many questions. Every have a glass of wine during the week while doing this? I may just try this - I must have missed this if you spoke about it before. THX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy,
    I had wine on the weekend.. Friday and Saturday..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful drink concoction.... plus Dr. Mercola just did an article on the benefits of cinnamon for alzheimers !


    I love your blog. So what's the best way to stay connected
    and how do I do it ??

    Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. subscribe by email ( on the top right of the blog) and sign up for Pinterest and Twitter for even more recipes

      Delete
  4. Hey, thank you for posting this. I've seen it before and wondered if it worked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sipping this as I type- I love it, it's delicious! I usually drink ACV and lemon juice in warm water in the morning, but I never thought to add stevia or cinnamon. It makes it taste like a treat, and if it helps with weight loss, I'll be the happiest girl in the world! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update. I often wonder what results are from some of the "diet" posts I've read and this is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Judee, for posting the update. What a good, healthy diet you eat! I've noticed a tremendous tendency towards baking and comfort foods lately at my house ... gotta work on that, follow your example!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may just have to try this, despite how ew sounding it is. I need the weight loss!
    Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Judee, I don't normally blog (I'm not very good at it) but I wanted to say that I do read your blog and follow your DIYs more than the diet aspect. I agree with Adelina on this diet drink; it sounds yucky to me! But, I will try it because I need to lose weight for my health (just got some bad news from my doctor - fat deposits in my liver, among other things) and this drink might just be what I need. Thank you so much for all your food info and the round tuits on the web site, Creating My Way to Success! (Or, I'm sorry, are these two totally not related?)Thank you and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn, I'd like to share just a short message to you that will help you tremendously with your liver...in fact, it is known to rejuvenate it. Take "milk thistle" daily. You can get it from any good health food store...not GNC or Wal-Mart. Have a great day!

      Delete
  10. I really appreciate that you tried this drink and reported your results. There is so much "hokum" out there. I like to hear from a real person--and not someone endorsing a product. Maybe I need this. Just as you wrote, I do ok during the week, but the weekends are killer! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just started drinking the ACV with honey & water, I'm thinking the lemon juice and cinnamon would be a great addition. I am not a fan of stevia though, but I may give it a chance because your results are great!! You're diet is an inspiration too though, nice and healthy with some good stuff on the weekend!!
    Krista@ Far From Normal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krista, You might want to try a different brand of Stevia. But I would recommend any liquid stevia. I only use the powder form. If you have access to Trader Joe's Store then try the one they have in a large container. It has some dried milk with it. Tastes good. It is far better than aspartame, splenda and saccarhin which all either causes cancer or affects the brain with dementia and/or Alzheimer. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  12. This is a wonderful update! I think I'm going to give the drink a try and see how it works. Thanks for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! I just returned from Nicaragua where I over indudged the entire week! Having a hard time getting back into the grove. This looks like the perfect "get back on track" drink for me.
    Question though - is it ok to do this every day or should you take a break between the 30 days?
    Visiting from Allergy Free Wednesday. My link is for GF, V Espresso Protein Brownies. The link is http://noskinnies.com/blog/2013/6/18/best-espresso-brownie-bites-gluten-free-vegan-low-carb.
    Hope you'll check it out! Thanks. www.NoSkinnies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lot's of people drink apple Cider Vinegar every day. There is really nothing in the drink that could be harmful. I'm not an expert, but I believe you can drink it daily. You might want to visit Dr. Axe's site and submit the question. He is a chiropractor and he created the drink..* check out his video) Let me know if you find out.. I'm on my way to view your brownies.

      Delete
  14. Fascinating. I appreciate you sharing this and your review - may give this a try!
    I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a liking these results! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing with Raw Foods Thursdays! I drink almost the exact concoction every morning. Less water and no stevia. I find that it's exactly what my intestines need to start the day well. Great hydration and a jumpstart for the metabolism.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You may not have time to answer this question, but how long does it take you to link your post with all of those weekday blog carnivals? Do you have some sort of efficient system? Otherwise, it seems like it would take forever!!!
    Either way, thanks for the tip. I've been drinking water with ACV on and off for a while, so now I'm back on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In regard to your question: I usually take 15-20 minutes each morning to link up for that day's blog carnivals. However, I don't always link to all of them. No special system, and it can be time consuming. I'm open to suggestions for a better way to get visibility of my posts. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  18. I had a boss that did this but warmed it up. I like sour so no problem. Will have to try myself and see what happens. Thanks for the results.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No, I've never tried it. But you're right, we do have to be careful when we "cheat." Because otherwise you'll gain back everything you lost or at least some of it!

    Thanks for linking up to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party today!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes but how does it taste? It sounds terrible... but I am tempted to try it. ;) Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you are not used to apple cider vinegar ( I wasn't ) it does taste awful - however, when you add the stevia.. it tastes good. It's funny after a month I can drink it without the stevia.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just popping back over to say that the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party is up and ready for you to link up your posts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is that recipe for one serving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I make a 24 ounce in the morning and take about 15 minutes to drink it down.
      You can watch the video for more info.. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck

      Delete
  24. How much of this do you drink a day?

    ReplyDelete
  25. How much of this do you drink a day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make a 24 ounce drink in the morning and drink it in about 15 minutes.
      You can drink it twice a day too.. However, after a month, I did find that the cinnamon was really cleansing me. Now, I'm just doing the organic apple cider vinegar and lemon juice.,.

      Delete
  26. This is so neat!
    It does taste really gross (I'm on my first jar of it), but I am just hoping I get used to it. I think I will. But right now it's rather gross. :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. You will also find as a side benefit, whiter teeth. I was pleasantly surprised at this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You will find a pleasant side effect after about a month is whiter teeth from the ACV. It is amazing and I am grateful for it. No extra effort and whiter teeth. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm over from Whole New Mom. Pinning this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm over from Whole New Mom. Pinning this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Does anyone if this is safe if I'm nursing? My son is 11 months old and I will be weaning him next month, but wanted to try this before then.

    ReplyDelete
  32. If this drinks works no, matter how it taste I just might need to try it out as nothing else I am doing to lose weight is working.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly